Tuesday 14 April 2015

Animation Workshop: Active poses - Sketches

For the next stage in the brief I needed to create three active poses that I first sketched traditionally so that I could quickly sketch the basic shapes for the action. I first started with the Jump pose, which I found quite difficult due to the proportions that I had given to the character, as the legs were more elongated it was difficult ensuring that the pose worked with the original proportions. The first page of the jumping poses worked successfully with the movement in the hair and the clothing and the perspective of the pose. I preferred the left design as I liked the movement and perspective of the pose as well as the facial features. I found that the second design did work with the jumping pose however I didn't like the profile of the characters face, I believe this was due to the position of the head, the face needed to be looking down like the previous design to follow with the jumping action. I carried on the jumping poses however I didn't feel like these designs worked as well as the first design was more of a running jump and the second looked like a jog/skip rather than a jump. I did however like the skip pose as the expression worked well with the movement of the arms and legs. 

Jumping

Jumping
Drawing the running poses was quite difficult with the proportion of the legs and the perspectives that I had drawn the character with. I found that the problem with the poses were the proportion, the perspectives worked well apart from the length of the legs. To solve this problem I can lengthen the legs after scanning the page into photoshop, using the marquee tool to move the legs and connecting the lines together with the brush tool before using it as reference. I found that the expressions I had used for the poses needed to be edited with the shape of the 3/4 being less curved and the other not including the contoured lines of the cheek to the point of the jaw. However I preferred the left design for the perspective of the run, I felt that this design would work once edited with the face and the length of the legs.

Running
The walking stance took awhile to draw through the perspective of the first pose, the shoulders were difficult to align with the perspective however the pose of the legs and arms worked well with the movement of the walk. I quite liked the expression of the face as well with the smile and the overall profile of the face. The second design did not work as well as I had hoped through the shortness of the torso and the angle of the shoulder and the arm. In order to solve this problem I would need to lengthen the torso and lower the shoulder to make the proportions work with the perspective.

Walking
Drawing the dancing pose was quite enjoyable through the movement and silly poses that I drew the character in, I quite liked the idea of the character holding a rose in his mouth whilst dancing. I didn't like the first page through the length of the torso and the poses that the character were in, so I developed the poses more on the second page in which I thought the first design worked really well. This can be seen through the movement of the arms and the addition of the rose which worked with the pose that the character was in. The second design on the page didn't work that well with the size of the hands and the angles of the arms however the stance of the legs worked better than the previous page that showed the same dancing move. The last design that I created for the dancing pose took influence from the pose from the second page with a rose in his mouth, through the movement of his hands. I quite liked this design as well through how the pose complimented the character and held more movement than the rest of the poses. For the active poses I decided to draw all four of the themes, each having two of the poses as I felt that this would complement the character and help me to improve my skills.

Dancing continued

Dancing continued

Dancing continued

No comments:

Post a Comment