Wednesday 9 October 2013

Storytelling - Nursery Rhymes


For the Storytelling study task, I had to choose a nursery rhyme in which I would recreate into my own version, formatted into a storyboard.

I immediately reminded of the Brothers Grimm Fairy tales in which, have influenced stories and rhymes for generations, with the cruel twist at the end of the fable and always leaving the reader with a moral. For example in the story, Little Red Riding Hood, it is interpreted to leave the audience with the moral of "don't stop to talk to strangers" or even "never wonder from the path", and some interpretations believe that the Grimm's story of Red Riding Hood is feminist through how the beauty of Red is emphasised and needs to be rescued from the beasts belly.



I then looked into popular nursery rhymes such as Humpty Dumpty, Hey Diddle Diddle, and Jack and Jill.  The rhyme was simple through the structure of the verse and the illustrations were drawn to suit a young audience through the use of colour, matched with less detailed lineart.
I felt that the best nursery rhyme was Jack and Jill through how I could visualise the journey to fetch the water from the well, in which I would be able to easily add my own twist to it.



Humpty Dumpty


Hey Diddle Diddle

Jack and Jill


I started to sketch early ideas of what Jack and Jill could look like with in the storyboards. I wanted to create Jack and Jill with similar facial traits as to make them siblings. I wanted Jack and Jill to be portrayed as siblings as I felt that it would be more connected to the nursery rhyme, matched with a child appearance to link with the young audience that the rhyme is aimed at.

Initial design of Jack

Inital design of Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment