Thursday 28 January 2016

Extended Design: Designing the Shadow

After sketching quick designs in my notebook, I took the design of the shadow straight to ink. I felt that with the spirit like shadow form I wanted for the character would work with the use of ink, if not at least generate some ideas. I really enjoyed this mini task, working with only a brush and dip pen forced me to continue with each line, if I made a mistake I couldn't correct it. With this in mind I first used shapes from my sketchbook before using less focused strokes on the designs. 

I started with odd completed drawings that I spent more time on compared to the following sketches. I mainly drew curved shapes, my favourite of the first initial designs is one that has three eyes and a long tongue. I thought this design worked well but not enough to be with the main character, I would love to use this design for a later enemy or character they go to for a quest. 

After drawing a few sheets of possible designs I created one design that I preferred. The shape was curved so it suited the audience with slight angular shapes with the hands and head. This worked quite well as this made the character look quite mischievous and cute at the same time. I wanted the villain character to be able to turn from innocent looking to mischievous. I added a collar to the design as without it, it looked plain. I wanted the collar to be simple, I first tried a chain but it was too much for the target audience and I didn't like it either. I finally created a collar that worked with the shadow. I ended up basing the collar on a pair of teeth, with the amount of lines and shape used. I doubt that the collar would end up functioning as the shadows mouth however if I ever did want to make the character darker I could add this into the character design. 
Final shape

Final shape

Initial designs

Initial designs

Initial designs

Initial designs

No comments:

Post a Comment