Monday, 2 February 2015

Alice in Wonderland - Final Cover and Page illustration

The final outcome for the book cover illustration worked successfully thought the original intent of incorporating the main character of the narrative, Alice, within a iconic scene of the book. For this scene I debated with a few background such as the Queen of Hearts garden or the Mad Hatters tea party, however through development and refined sketched I used the scene of Alice falling through the rabbit hole. I felt that the colour scheme worked well with the contrast against the slightly desaturated background matched with different objects and items. I encountered problems with the background through the use of the tones and glow that I wanted to add to give it that eerie but magical atmosphere to the piece. I solved this problem by using blending modes to calm down the original vibrancy of the glow and make blue shade merge nicely with the brown tones of the background. I purposefully added the items alongside Alice in the rabbit hole, to not only work with the scene, but to work with adding a possible password into the cover. Through feedback I understood that it would be difficult for the younger audience to discover the hidden letters in the image to then rearrange into a password. Therefore the password would need to be in a easily seen space, in which could be the back of the front cover.

The final illustration page worked successfully through the colour scheme and tonal shading I had used for the design. I purposely designed the image with the use of block tonal fill as to relate to the John Tenniel prints in the original prints of the book. I felt that the illustrations needed this as the whole brief was to design illustrations for the 150th anniversary of the book, and in my opinion there needed to be a twist or hint of the John Tenniel prints in the designs to relate to the original book. I felt that my designs were successful with this as I used thin lines in which I felt worked with absorbing my own style with the simple shapes whereas Tenniel used detailed dip pen strokes to his work, that were neat and thin. Even though I had not used any crosshatch or line shading I felt that the block colouring worked well as it suited the primary target audience, if I had included crosshatch or other intricate lines the design would have suited the gift buyers and collectors more rather than the main audience.The book illustration held more detail through the perspective as to work with the chapter that it would be situated in, as well as add to the aesthetic of the crazy tea party. 

Overall I felt that both of the designs were successful through how both suited the target audience through line, shape, perspective and colour. I thoroughly enjoyed this brief through how I had the creative freedom to create any illustration that held a description of any narrative within the chapters, as well as being able to redraw the characters in a style that would suit the younger audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment