Sunday, 11 May 2014

Model armature

Before starting to create the model, I was first set the task to make one object turn into another. I decided to make an apple into a pear, however it took alot of trial and error to think of a sequence that would work with just 12 pieces. I decided to work with a sequence which would seem to squash and then stretch back into the final shape, the pear. I really enjoyed this task but it made me realise that I need practice with smoothing out the plasticine as I could it difficult to keep the plasticine smooth as I was shaping the design. To solve this problem when I begin to create the model I could use a pen or one of the tools to smooth the plasticine.

I really enjoyed creating the armatures and the model and found it more fun then I thought I would have as I have never made one before. Creating the armatures were difficult as I found it hard to ensure that the model would not collapse or bend when I added the milliput, the milliput ensures that the part which is covered would not bend. To fix the problems of the wire bending I also used thicker wire so that it would be harder to move, I used this wire for the spine of the armature.

I added the milliput to the hands, feet, head and parts of the legs and arms to ensure that the joints would only move. I added milliput in the head so that it would be easier to create the shape of the head when adding the plasticine.

I then drew sketches and designs of how I would want the model to look like. At first I wanted to create a model that looked like a character from my Tale in the Sting brief however I made the hips of the armature too wide and as I was adding the plasticine I realised that wouldn't be able to cover this up and the armature would have to be a female character.

I designed a simple character with simple clothes but with the room to add detail to the clothing such as pockets and patches, with laces on the shoes. I felt that this design would work well with the armature, and the face would be easy to create as well with the small detail tools.
Before I added plasticine to the model, I first made a stand for the model to be fixed to with wire, this aided the process of the modelling as I was able to turn the model without having to place the character down as it was always suspended.

With the first layer of the plasticine, the model looked extremely thin and elongated and reminded me of Tim Burton's models such as Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas or Victor from The Corpse Bride. As I added the clothing to the character the model began to look bigger and in proportion to itself and I was able to add spikes of hair for the fringe and parting.

Unfortunately I realised that I had used too much milliput for the models hands meaning that I wouldn't be able to add fingers and the character would have to have mitten like hands. To solve this problem in the future, I know to add the minimal amount of milliput to make sure that there would be enough room to add to the joints.

I after adding the basis for the character design on the model, I started to add detail to the model by adding shoe laces, pockets and a patch on the dungarees. Unfortunately I couldn't add the milliput eyes, as I had made the milliput fill for the head too big meaning the eyes would stick out too much from the head. To solve this problem in the future I know to add less milliput to allow further developments and additions to the model.

No comments:

Post a Comment