Wednesday 10 December 2014

Notes on Qwertee

Qwertee is an online t-shirt company, that use artists, students and peoples designs to print as voted by the public. The more votes that you obtain the more likely your t-shirt will be printed. Every 24 hours 2 t-shirt designs are selected to be printed, in which have the most votes so far. Unfortunately you only have two days to be able to buy the print selected before it is then gone forever on the site. It is a very competitive site that requires as many votes from the public as possible to be able to see your t-shirt design. I decided to use Qwertee as one of the five briefs for the individual practice study task as to develop my illustrative style further, that I could adapt into sequential imagery; I wanted to improve my use of colour, layout and structure of my illustrations that I could adapt into a stylised animated piece for my future modules this year. Not only did I want to improve my design work, but also practice with submitting work to sites and competitions, to gain more confidence with my work. I feel that my social networking accounts lack my work and this is due to my lack of confidence of wanting people to see my work. I believe that Qwertee will help me overcome this and force me to design finished pieces of work that I can use for a portfolio.

Qwertee popular t-shirt designs

Most popular theme - Studio Ghibli
Before I started to design any t-shirts,  I looked at the most popular t-shirts that had been printed and ones that were still up for voting to gain inspiration and insight into what the public like. I found that the most popular theme is from the Studio Ghibli series, such as Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke. I believe these are the most popular as buying t-shirts that relate to them from shops or popular online sites such as Amazon and Ebay are very unlikely. Other popular designs are from Japanese animations, games and western comics, such as Hellboy, Batman, Fullmetal Alchemist, Legend of Zelda, Nightmare Before Christmas. Legend of Zelda and Kingdom Hearts are quite popular with the t-shirt designs, which I was inspired by and began designing for the themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment