Saturday 8 March 2014

Sandman design development


I began to sketch in the style of the comic book artist for the Sandman Overture comics, as I was heavily inspired by the amount of detail and thought put to the composition of each page.
I sketched the character Corinthian in the detail shown in the comic, however I felt it was too much detail for the title sequence, I wanted something that would resemble a dream like state, an illusory stasis of sequences of imagery, that would zoom and flow into the next sequence of images.

I started to think about the lack of detail, for instance the character having no facial features and how that would effect the composition. I felt that this worked well as I thought about how this would work with the overall duration of the title sequence; I thought that the characters could all have no facial features, as if trying to recall a dream you cannot remember, and through out the episodes, a character could be shown with facial features. I thought that for the main title sequence the only character that should be shown would be the Sandman, as he is the main focus with in the comics.















I began to think about the amount of detail that I would portray the sandman, as in the main title sequence he would be depicted with facial features. I didn't want the same detail as shown in the comics as I wanted to use my own style but adopt a western approach.
I began to use artists influence with in my sketches ranging from Edward Gorey to Phil Hale. I knew that the Edward Gorey style was aimed for a younger audience meaning the style would be simpler, however I wanted to see whether or not I could adapt the style for the mature audience for Sandman. This did not work as the style still appeared to look like it would be used for a young children's book, through the lack of detail and use of line.
I felt that Phil Hales inspired design worked well compared to the rest of the designs as I preferred the jaw line and the detail of the eyes. In my opinion the style could definitely be linked to a western design but also absorbing my influence as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment